The Veteran CRP Skills Coach is a front-line, direct-service volunteer who supports one to three veterans as they complete the CRP in different locations around the country. FourBlock’s Career Readiness Program (CRP) is a 10-week course that helps veterans prepare to effectively transition to meaningful careers in the civilian workforce.
- Meet with assigned veteran(s) on a weekly basis (e.g., 30 minutes in-person, by phone, video
call, etc.) to provide individual support based on student needs and course requirements/deliverables as
- Create and deliver a concise and effective elevator pitch; practice modifying for different situations
- Tell a story that answers the question, “Tell me about yourself,” in a job interview
- Develop a targeted resume
- Update and improve a LinkedIn profile
- Prepare for at least one mock interview
- Develop a target list of companies that demonstrates a strategy for relationship-based career growth
- Attend at least three (3) sessions over the course of a semester (preferably to include Orientation or the
first employer-hosted session) to become comfortable with the program structure and course
materials (to reinforce weekly check-ins with veterans).
- Support breakout room discussions, as needed, in a virtual or in-person environment
- Work directly with course Instructor to communicate student progress and identify those who need additional support
- Keep track of student progress over the course of the semester and submit a brief progress report at the end of the course.
- OPTIONAL: Serve as small group facilitator in one or more weekly break-out sessions
Desired Experience and Attributes:
- Passion for assisting transitioning service members and veterans begin a meaningful career in the civilian workforce.
- It is preferable for FourBlock Alumni to have one year of full-time civilian career experience.
- Be prepared to:
- Spend approximately 8-10 direct service hours, per student, over the program semester. This includes time interacting with students, corresponding with FourBlock instructors on student performance and progress, reviewing course curriculum, and participating in any ancillary training
- Participate in at least three (3) evening sessions @ 2 hours per week, either via Zoom or in-person (when in-person instruction resumes)
- Review course curriculum/syllabus and create a profile on FourBlock Connect, our community building platform (using either a work or personal email)
- Commit to one school year (two semesters)
There is no compensation for the FourBlock Career Readiness Coach; it is a volunteer position.
How it Works:
- Let us know your interest in becoming a CRP-Skills Coach by completing this application and a member of our team will reach out to you for a discussion.
- Once approved, the CRP-Skills Coach will receive all program information to include the course syllabus, curriculum (Student Handbook), and deliverables checklist.
- Create a profile on FourBlock Connect, FourBlock’s networking and community platform.
- Coach will be paired with student(s) no later than week 2 of the program.
- Schedule a recurring 30-minute weekly check-in to review course assignments, plan for the following week, and offer general support, etc.
- Keep track of conversations and student progress on Coach Report form.
- Alert course Instructor if student is experiencing any trouble with course deliverables or needs additional support.
The mission of FourBlock is to support transitioning service members and veterans with finding a meaningful career and reaching their potential. The goal of the Veteran Career Readiness Program is to help transitioning service members and veterans build the professional relationships they need to transition to a meaningful civilian career. This program is a semester-long course where we take a cohort of transitioning service members and veterans to a different corporate location every week to learn about the various companies and industries, learn and practice the technical competencies of a career search - and most importantly - gain access to and begin building relationships with the veterans and employers who work at these companies.
The core experience we provide is to bring together participants with employers have conversations about career opportunities, learn from one another, and begin to build a professional relationship. The goal of each class is to facilitate these conversations for every student and employer in attendance. The purpose of our curriculum is to prepare each participant for this moment and subsequent relationship building conversations. After the course is finished, FourBlock staff follows up with students to ensure they are prepared to begin a meaningful career. We then encourage them to be active members of our community, come back to the program to teach or mentor, and employ the next cohort of veterans and transitioning service members.